You've Got to Start Somewhere, So Chunk It!
Facing a daunting task or overwhelming project? Chunk it into bite-sized pieces. By breaking it down into a series of smaller individual tasks, you might be able to get your arms around it and start getting it done. Let's look at some examples:
- Clean the house-- go room by room or closet by closet
- Clean the garage or basement-- go wall by wall
- Do the taxes-- organize receipts month by month or inflows then outflows
I think you get the general idea . . .
Two other approaches I use is to set time limits and use reward systems:
- With time limits, I tell myself I'll only work on an unpleasant task for 30 or 60 minutes-- hey, progress is progress . . .
- With reward systems, I make myself do the unpleasant first, then I do the enjoyable as a reward. True, the last reward could also be a beer or a nap after working outside all day
I hope these ideas help you tackle the unpleasant tasks in your life . . .