Bulletproof Yourself . . .
I saw an article on CNN.com about bulletproofing your job. Newsflash-- there is no bulletproofing your job. The days of job security are over . . . nobody is immune (Layoffs and Unemployment are Up: 7 Things You Should Do ASAP). No job is forever-- even government employees are getting pink slips.
That said, what can you do? (Notice I said, "YOU")
- Start an emergency fund (See my post, Squirrel Accounts . . . Do Yourself a Favor and Set One Up)
- Carefully build your pantry and freezer stock (See my post, Our Frozen Assets)
- Cut non-essential expenses
- Start a sideline business(es) that could grow to a full time gig
- Develop additional professional or trade skills (Think About Learning Another Skill or Trade and Never, Ever Stop Learning . . . )
- Payoff or plan to payoff your cars and credit cards
- Become more self-sufficient (See my post, What Happened to Self-Sufficiency?)
Bottomline: "Bulletproofing" is really about controlling your own destiny and keeping flexibility . . . (6 Defensive Moves You Can Make While the Sun Shines Upon You and Is Your Financial House in Order?)